Yeah, this is my end of year post a week into the new year. I told you, it never feels like a new year, not really, until Three Kings Day has passed and the kids are back in school. I'm not as sad as I thought I would be this morning. The house sure is quiet but we had a nice quiet break so that's not much of a difference. What was great about this morning was how amazingly well & cheerfully the littles got up and got ready. I walked them to school in my "shippers" (not quite shoes, not quite slippers...mocassins, really) and it was nice to return to that routine that I love so much.
Natalie was also very happy this morning as it is David Bowie's birthday (to say she's a fan would be an understatement, more like worshipper..ha ha) AND he announced a new album at midnight last night which she has already pre-ordered and purchased the first single from.
Already, in 2013 everything's coming up roses! :)
Anyway, 2012. I had a chance to review last year's blog posts and it's a nice thing that I didn't write daily because I was able to capture in a few sittings a good review and you know what? It was a pretty good year aside from my car accident in January which peppered the entire year (and continues to) with more inconvenience, illness, pain, discomfort and doctor's/specialist visits than a healthy person should ever have to be subjected to. It sucks to feel powerless as the result of someone else's moronic decisions (the texting whilst driving hipster, if you recall). I'm not used to suffering the consequences of other people's actions. I can usually process and move on but this time, it's written all over my every move and habit. Nothing is the same as before: taking pictures, gardening, fitness, household chores. Nothing. What a drag, indeed.
Other than that, what happened?
- I worked outside of the home briefly, waiting tables no less!, for the first time in nearly a decade (!!!). I'm crazy, I know. But it was a great adventure and I will never regret it! (Though, honestly, I'm not sure I'd repeat it...not sure I could physically ... no thanks to the aforementioned hipster)
- We lost Guy's special Uncle Stanley, which turned out to be a very emotional occasion.
- We attended a fourth wedding (!!!).
- I created, showed art, shot more commissioned photography & was the Featured Artist of a benefit art show & auction (i.e. was treated like a celebrity for better part of the year which was absolutely gorgeous)
- More design work for me which I also love.
- The Summer DivorceTM was a welcome failure. But the summer grumpy monster reared its ugly head which means LONER NINO NEEDS HER SPACE from friends & socializing sometimes (and then feels horribly guilty when she has to ask for it).
- I spent 3 magnificent weeks road-tripping to Florida and back with my girls...just us...visiting family and BEACH. (Not a moment too soon, see above)
- I volunteered A LOT which I greatly enjoy even though the frequency and intensity sometimes rose to "this feels like a job" levels.
- The 2012/2013 school year got off to a wonderful start with Natalie loving and excelling at her new collegiate high school and Anna Sofia doing MUCH better with separation and general happiness in 1st grade vs. Kindie. Elle continues to do incredibly well in spite of her processing issues and I continue fighting for every scrap of accomodation and individualized attention legally due to her armed with an incredibly generous and knowledgable ally. (A Mom of one of Nat's peers) She probably doesn't even know how much more information and empowerment she gifted us in one 1/2 hour conversation than in all the school meetings with teachers, counselors, psychologists and diagnosticians I've attended combined. I should probably tell her (this is not someone I see often...once or twice a year, at the most).
- Charlie Brown is alive and well which is truly a miracle that we're so thankful for even though we know his days are numbered. I was especially pleased that he made it to and beyond Christmas. Thanks, boy!
- We got a kitty! My first in nearly two decades! (I grew up with cats) My girls' first EVER! And he's darling and a little crazy which means he fits right in with us. Guy openly adores him which is cute and a little odd to watch (a grown ass man baby talking to a cat? Yeah, weird. ha ha) Charlie may not be equally as enthused between Buckwheat* swatting at him and creepily lingering around the blind old man enough to piss him off every once in a while...it's nice to see Char put the little imp in his place every once in a while with a ferocious bark or two. :) He is King, after all. *That's the kitty's name and, yes, he is completely black. He was named after a black kitty I owned as a teenager that got stolen. Waaa!
Speaking of The King, I was reminded in my Facebook feed that it's also Elvis' birthday today. Natalie gifted me a gorgeous, fire-engine red ukulele for Christmas (I've named her Fionna because that's the first song I learned to play) so, excuse me while I go play a little ditty on it in honor of his birthday. And also, because I can't remember anything else of note that happened in 2012 and frankly, I'm ready to be done with it. The post, the year. Bring on 2013 and all the good and interesting things it might hold! God willing.